Shower safety concerns

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

joysun3000
    Participant

My mom is 85 years old and lives in her own condo by herself. My siblings and I are getting more and more concerned about the bathtub shower she uses. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen. She has to haul herself over the bathtub wall to get in and out. We are looking into modifying the tub to make it a step-through shower, but the step will still be 4 inches high (to keep water in the shower). I’m thinking this is going to still be a tripping hazard for my mom, giving her a false sense of security that the step is much lower, but maybe causing her to trip on the lower edge. Has anyone else gone through this, or does anyone have any advice?

CarolCalif
    Participant

Here are some ideas, they can all be found on Amazon.com:
    • Install grab bars. Look for the places where your mom normally holds onto when entering or exiting the shower and place the grab bars there.
    • Install a tension pole. An alternative to grab bars when getting in and out of a shower or tub is a tension pole from floor to ceiling that would give your mom something to hold on to for balance support.
    • Use a bath (transfer) bench. A bath bench eliminates the problem of stepping in and out of the tub/shower. This is how it works: Your mom gets into the shower by sitting down on the bench outside the shower, then the bench slides over the step into the shower, where she can then stand up and shower herself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.