Help for an aging mom who has cancer and is homeless

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #983


    That old saying about reaping what you sow is only too true. I’m the only child of a single mother who abused me, physically and mentally, until I was old enough and smart enough to get away from her. Now she is nearly 70, homeless, friendless and has been diagnosed with cancer. She used to breed and raise dogs. That’s how she made her living, but the last few dogs were taken away from her because of neglect. She is now staying in a motel. I’ve paid for a couple of weeks but that’s all I can afford and I can’t, I won’t, have her live with me. Not sure what happens when her motel stay ends. That’s all I can do. She has no friends or family. Is there some agency or social service group I should contact? She gets social security but that’s her only support. What happens to a homeless old woman with cancer? I’d appreciate any suggestion but please not that she’s my responsibility. She’s not. She never took care of me. Quite the opposite. I escaped when I was 15 and haven’t had anything to do with her since until a few weeks ago. Advice?



    Call and make an appt at your local social security office with your mother and ask to talk to a social worker about your mother’s health condition and homelessness.

    They can refer you to local homeless shelters and programs for elderly homeless people. Your mother should be eligible for Medicare and/or Medicaid to pay for her medical care. It is very painful to reunite with an abusive parent, try to find a support group or someone you can confide in to help you through these feelings. If you are contacted by a social service agency, explain to them your situation. In some states, there are filial support laws that obligate the child to pay for the basic necessities like food and housing, check to see if those laws exist in your state.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.