Activities for mom who watches TV ALL DAY

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

fedup-in-Oregon
    Participant

My mother-in-law came to live with us 2 years ago. She basically sits all day long in the same chair watching television. She rarely gets up, and when she does, it’s to go smoke out in the backyard. She doesn’t help at all around the house with cooking or any cleaning. I basically wait on her hand and foot. She is 76 years old, not very old, and I’ve tried to encourage her to go out and get involved in social activities, but my husband just tells me to let her be. He does not interact with her much and I just feel guilty letting her just sit like that, which has to be bad for her I imagine. Does anyone have any advice or is anyone else going through the same thing?

CarolCalif
    Participant

Sometimes transitioning to new living arrangements can be very difficult for older adults. She could be suffering from depression, or have a medical condition that is making her feel fatigued and not wanting to engage with others. Has she had a complete physical recently and mental health evaluation? That will help determine what kinds of interventions will help her. Good nutrition, exercise, and social interaction are all important to improve quality of life. Finding senior centers, social groups that take trips, and connecting her with others with similar likes will help and should be encouraged.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.